Worldwide application made possible by simple design and the materials used. Vlotterkering® is designed to be a temporary water barrier integrated into a dike or embankment that protects the land and its inhabitants from extreme water surges. Vlotterkering® is a flexible barrier that closes automatically. It consists of a cement basin and a float with a steel panel lid on top that serves as the water barrier. When the Vlotterkering® is not in use, the float rests in the cement basin integrated in the embankment. When water enters the basin it pushes up the float and steel panel lid, which then functions as a barrier to the water. The greatest advantage of the Vlotterkering® is that it provides a water-barrier solution for areas with complex spatial zoning.
Successful Vlotterkering® pilot:
Funded by a subsidy from Water Board of Delfland in 2014, Dura Vermeer and Vlotterkering BV carried out a pilot of the Vlotterkering® with a 40m-long installation. The Vlotterkering® was tested extensively by the Grontmij engineering company, supported by STOWA, Clean Tech Delta, Water Board of Delfland, Deltares and Topsector Water. Dura Vermeer has now included the Vlotterkering® in its product portfolio, and intends, through acquisition and sales, to implement the Vlotterkering® in its projects on the Dutch market.
The benefits of Vlotterkering:
- 3 to 4 times faster than other temporary water barriers.
- No need to interrupt the view or change the existing situation.
- Deployment possible in all conditions and weather.
- A fixed feature ready for operation and/or testing at any time.
- No manpower or materials needed, not even for resetting.
- In urban areas and areas not protected by dikes.
- To close openings/gaps in dikes and other water barriers.
- To protect from or prevent flows of fire extinguishing water and/or hazardous materials in the petrochemical industry, to contain petrochemical spillage.
- For flood protection of high-voltage substations.
- To raise the dike level in areas where there is a lack of lateral space.
- To channel urban and other water streams.
- To protect commercial, industrial and housing areas, both on an individual basis and for
a wider area.
- To store rainwater.
- As a water reservoir.
Are you interested in becoming a Vlotterkering® dealer outside The Netherlands? We are looking for new dealers worldwide. Is your company interested? Click here …